Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
[HUB Workbench] Resilience for Entrepreneurs: Applying the Science of Learned Optimism
Wednesday, February 6, 2013 from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM (PST)
San Francisco, United States
About the class
• What does scientific research reveal about the core traits of optimism and pessimism?
• How can I quickly and reliably bounce back from even the most difficult circumstances?
• What is the link between our emotions, events and our beliefs?
Optimism has been shown to improve work performance, benefit health and reduce feelings of helplessness and depression. This workshop will give students proven tools to increase optimism and resilience on demand.
The core skills of learned optimism were published by Dr. Martin Seligman in his book Learned Optimism. These skills have been applied to individuals, in schools and is formally taught in the US Army to bring the various benefits of optimism. Matt is bringing these skills in a high engagement format to individuals throughout the country. Knowing that negative events don’t have to translate into pessimistic thoughts and negative emotions is incredibly liberating and empowering.
• Welcome (5 min)
• Origins of learned optimism (5 min)
• What are the hallmarks of optimism and pessimism based on research? (10 min)
o Permanent, Personal, Pervasive
• Why is optimism important & worth pursuing? (5 min)
• How to shift from pessimism to optimism (15 min)
o “ABCDE” Method
• Workshop (20 min)
o Apply the ABCDE method individually and discuss as a whole
o Next steps – how to build a lasting habit
• Session Feedback and Q&A (10 min)
This workshop will start with a PowerPoint presentation of the learned optimism theory, then dive we'll into individual and group work to apply the techniques discussed and end with collaborative discussion of lessons learned and next steps.
About Matt Rampe
Matt Rampe is a happiness ninja. He started his business with the mission of measurably and sustainably increasing the well-being of others. Matt’s teaching draws heavily from the scientific findings of positive psychology research. He has worked as an accredited business valuation expert for venture-backed companies for the majority of his career. Prior to that he was in the finance group at the Clorox Company. Matt has served on the board of various non-profits and is an active speaker. He lives in San Francisco with his wife, twin boys and two cats.
When & Where
HUB Workbench helps changemakers develop the skills they need to succeed. Our teachers are activists, artists, and social entrepreneurs who envision a new kind of economy and a new definition of success in business. Our community will help you learn skills, build your project, and change the world.
HUB Workbench is a HUB Bay Area program.
The HUB Bay Area is part of a global community taking collaborative action for a better world. The HUB is an inspiring space, meaningful content and a vibrant global community of people.
We share the following values:
· Placemaking: We value the place around us.
· Collaborative Effort: Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration.
· Ethic of Respect: The Hub is a respectful place. It is safe for diversity, ideas, inspiration, and creativity.
· Building a Better World: Our community honors hopes, dreams, and values.
· Radical Inclusion: All are invited to join and build on the conversation.
Join the HUB Community today and receive discounts on events, classes and professional development opportunities.